Monday, February 15, 2010

Why do we do selfish things..



Sometimes I often wonder, just as my kids do, why did I just say that or do that. It's not what I really meant to say or do, but yet I did it anyway.

I was so excited about having Sat night to ourselves, a day early to celebrate Valentine's Day which is our 5th year of celebrating our life together. I had it all played out in my head. A nice romantic dinner, maybe a movie or maybe a little dancing, then off to home to relax, go to bed.....sleep in, wake up snuggle, or and of course some sort of present showing me that he is just as excited and happy as I am.

Did it go that way.......nope! It sure didn't.

We took the kids out to breakfast, which we drove to separately, then went to a store which sells pool tables and such. We did spend a little more time there than we thought we would. I assumed since he had time to play around in a pool table store he was all prepared for our special night...

Dinner was awesome, nice, romantic, candle light, and great food. What did we do after noting much. Made it home, to bed.....slept in, and snuggled. But for some reason I woke up feeling disappointed that nothing more happened, no gifts were exchanged. And the more I thought about it, the more upset I got. In fact at that point I was no longer upset, but angry. I just couldn't understand how he couldn't make time to at least pick up a card!

He kept asking me all morning what I was upset about, I kept telling him the classic phrase "NOTHING, I'M FINE". By the afternoon I did attempt to ask him about it, what I was expecting and I received no response, or rather not the one I wanted.

So then after our friends left from watching NASCAR, he could no longer hold it in that I had no right to be upset that he had been working day and night for how many days now...at that moment I felt so stupid. Am I really that selfish that I needed more than time with him to know that we love each other???? It was horrible we spent the whole night yelling at each other, crying, and not talking. I am sooo mad at myself for not communicating with him as I should have.

I think we are back to our normal common ground now....thank goodness for that. Thanks you Lord for guiding me through this one. I really needed that. So my advice to all women who think they NEED to have a gift to prove that their husband, boyfriend, or partner love them, they are mistaken...it's the little simple things that he does for me that I take for granted. He works hard to provide our family with a beautiful home, and a comfortable life style for us to raise our children whom receive just about anything their hearts desire..I love you Shawn, for all that you are and all that you do!

Seriously...I can't believe I let the commercial standards get to me...We all lean lessons everyday!


Beth

1 comment:

  1. oh gee...I can't relate to this at ALL! (ahem) Great post...you speak for many women with this one, methinks!!

    ReplyDelete